Skip to main content

Edith "Edie" Biedel Nelson






Here's the quick and dirty....I was dilated to a 4 at my midwife appointment on Thursday but Dave had a lab final on Friday morning that couldn't be rescheduled (priorities!) so I hoped to at least make it through Friday. We had my mom spend the night Friday night "just in case" and were so glad we did because my water broke around 11:30pm. My midwife had us so freaked out about a very quick delivery that we headed to the hospital right away even though I only felt minor contractions. They checked us in and we waited.....and waited...but nothing happened. We tried sleeping in our hospital room but were fairly unsuccessful at that and we were BORED out of our minds, frankly.
It was the most gorgeous day that Portland had seen since September so we did some brisk walking around the hospital to get things going but nothing happened. At 10:30am the midwife convinced me to try a small dose of Pitocin and that go things going. I had been reluctant to do Pitocin because I really wanted to again deliver without an epidural and, thankfully, I was able to.
By 12:30pm I was in the tub dealing with intense contractions and by 2:15pm I was pushing. 15 minutes later (I know that sounds great but I think I'd rather do slow and steady), Edie was born - 8lbs 1.5ounces 21 inches long. Sweet and healthy. And yes, another little girl for our family (most people thought it was a boy).
We left the hospital the following evening and headed home with our new family of 4. Big sister Cora adores Edie and wants to hold her and poke at her constantly. Dave is finishing finals this week so we've recruited all the help we can get to keep Cora entertained so I can focus on our little one. She's pretty mellow so far but thinks she needs to eat constantly. We're very excited to have the summer together as a family since Dave will only be taking one class!

Comments

Love, love love! You guys look SO happy! Congrats! We miss you guys a gaillion
She's beautiful! Cora will just love having a little sister! Congratulations, and enjoy the summer together....hopefully there will be some sunshine soon!
Carter Family said…
I LOVE IT!!! She is to die for cute and I can not wait to meet her. Love on little Edie and Cora for aunt Roni. so glad it went well - you are such a cute little family. We love an miss you guys tons!
Garnerfam said…
She is beautiful! Congratulations to you and Dave and to big sister Cora. Cute family of 4!! Love you guys!
AJ Biedel said…
You are Superwoman,and your family couldn't be sweeter. Love you guys! Hope Dave's finals go well.
Tina said…
Lindsay, you are such a brave mom!! I am thinking to have natural delivery too, hope I can make it :)! Your look fabulous and Edie is co cute!I am so happy for you!

Popular posts from this blog

We recently had family photos taken in the Columbia Gorge by a wonderful couple who travel around the world with their two kids taking pictures. I just love how they turned out!

Manzanita and more...

Since my last post, a lot has happened in our household.  We took our first camping trip of the year to Silver Falls State Park and survived!  Cora even got to try smores for the first time.   Edie turned 1 on June 4th and just a few weeks before took her first ambulance rider to the ER due to an infection - ugh!  She's fine now...thankfully. We figure it's our first of many trips to the ER with two very busy little girls.  (On a side note, Cora thought riding in the ambulance was really fun!) I came down with a ridiculous case of Poison Oak that was awful for about three weeks and continues to haunt me.  It seems I'm quite allergic!  Thankfully, no one else got it.  Dave drove himself to the ER in the middle of the night for an emergency appendicectomy that ended up being (and still is) more complicated than normal because of the scar tissue left in his stomach from the car accident.  That was a few weeks ago and his...

Easter